Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A splash of insomnia

I don't know why, but I feel this need to find the other really awesome song on the Jully Black album and listen to it RIGHT NOW. Gotta love those random aural longings. My life is entirely driven by the need to hear this song, or that song, this band, that album, and you know what? I like it that way.

Tariq brought in a couple of CDs to work on Saturday so that I could listen to them in the back room -- New Order and a group called Phoenix. I really liked the Phoenix album, so he let me borrow it to upload into my computer, which was really cool of him (I'm actually listening to it right now). Saturday was the last shift I got to work with him since his last day is tomorrow. I'm surprised at how disappointed I am that he is leaving... I really look forward to work when I know he's going to be there. Despite that 'usually' questionable taste in music. He asked for my number on Saturday, so we'll see if he actually uses it. Not in a romantic way, of course. He's young enough to be my... hmm... well, he's just too young for me. Not that I've thought about it.

At New City on Saturday they played this really cool mix of music. We heard a couple of songs by Metric, and since I've heard three of their songs and liked them all I may have to check out their actual album. They played the new NIN song 'Only' which I have been addicted to for the last three weeks, and know all the words to, which made me feel kinda geeky-slash-cool as I sang along. Um, they played 'Michael' by Franz Ferdinand... (so fun to dance to). Oh! AND they played this song that Katie put on the last cd she made for me, "House of Jealous Lovers" which is SUCH a wicked cool dance song. I wonder if Tariq's heard it... probably not. He's intah mellow. Although, so is Katie, and if it hadn't been for her, I wouldn't have known that song from adam when the DJ started spinning it.

My favourite music there, though, is that throbbing industrial type with the heavy rolling bass and totally intense rhythm that wraps it's hands around your throat, shoves you up against a graffitied wall and says "dance or else". Fuck, I love it. I love watching other people dance to it. There was this one guy I saw time and again throughout the night and every time, I swear, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I called him my "black pants man" because, well, he was wearing black pants, and apparently I'm not that creative when I have a couple of Mikes Hard Berry Lemonade swishing around in my stomach. So yeah, he was wearing black pants with all these silvery buckle-type things up and down the legs, and a black shirt. Out of the all-black outfit though, a state in which I admit I shamelessly imagined him for five very vivid seconds, he would look like the kind of guy who works at the counter in your neighbourhood TD bank. He was incredible, though. So into the music. I would love to have crawled inside his body and felt the music the way he was feeling it.

Pretty much took my breath away, he did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home